Saturday, January 11, 2014

Poochie: Orange Wing Amazon Bird

Poochie is an Orange Wing Amazon bird. He was born sometime in June 2010 in  Florida. His tag number is 3281. He came as a newborn by plane I guess to Pedro's store "Birds of Paradise".





I saw him as a newborn, he had very few feathers, he looked a bit weird without all of his feathers. One time in August of 2010, when he was 2 months old, I walked into the store and saw him. By now he was bigger with all his colorful feathers, I looked at him, he looked at me, eye to eye, he smiled, he sort of hypnotised me. I talked to him and he responded by giving me attention and his eyes flashed brightly orange colors. When I left the store, I was hooked on him. I could not stop thinking about him. I decided to buy him as a  birthday gift to myself and I did. He is the best thing I ever got for myself. I also felt like if I was saving him, I don't know from what, but he actually saved me...lol

I had him DNA tested and confirmed that he is a boy. Raising Poochie had been a great experience. I never knew that birds were so great and interesting. I didn't even know that I could be so gifted at taking care of a bird. I had learned a lot from him, more than what I thought. He also had made me a better person.

One of the most significant thing I learned from Poochie is to " Never be  Upset or Mad", no matter what my situation is. Poochie never gets mad, he is always happy and I mean, really happy ! He is always sweet, he loves attention, he loves being talked and sang to. His favorite songs are "ABC" and  Barney's song "I love you".

The only annoying behavior that he has is being very loud and noisy if I don't give him attention. Birds are like "forever little babies", they need to be loved and play with, they need everyday talk, affection and care, birds are social beings. When he is very noisy, I put a cover over his cage to calm him down, if talking and music doesn't work. Also, giving him a shower calms him down. I pour water on him and he loves it, he knows how to give himself a bath as well. Birds take on the emotions that are around so if I am loud he will be loud and scream also.

Please do not get a pet bird if you think that you will not have the time to take care of them and play with. Birds really need attention and play time. You can leave the radio music on all day or the TV if you have to go to work and leave your bird alone.

Poochie will talk only when he wants to. It took me 3 years to get him on video saying "I love you" he would talk and dance but would stop as soon as he knew I was recording. He is too smart...lol
You can see him doing all his things on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/lalistadeaura

Poochie has his own Facebook page by www.facebook.com/PoochieBird


 














I also had a Quaker Parrot.


He likes it when I pet his ear, it makes him yawn.


He relaxes and sleep after playtime.


He like to grab objects near him, specially shiny ones like gold or metal colors.



Of course, I had to paint him. 7/2014.



I made him into a ceramic, he liked it, he was trying to lick it.



Kitty likes to drink from his water and he allows her to. I got kitty a few months after Poochie. They grew up in the same area and like each other. You can see the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37zszbzydSM&list=UU--upR0pkN4JtjlrbJe63SA




No comments: