Thursday, May 11, 2017

Choosing The Right Partner

  Choosing The Right Partner for my work out in Mauy Thai is a serious decision and a very important one for me every time I have a class. I mean, this is the person that is going to be legally allowed to hit me and that I can hit for almost 1 hour.

   Who knew that getting the right training partner was such an important decision?!...It is very important for my advancement and learning process. I didn't know how weak I was until I started to train, then 2 years later, I didn't know how strong my body was going to become. I am still mentally shocked at the changes in my body. Being able to do so much more physically and regained so much energy.

   I really didn't pay attention at the beginning, but then I started to notice that at the time of picking a partner after the warm out work outs, I was the ugliest duckling in the class who was left without a training partner, so I had to be placed in a group with 2 other people. There was something going on that I quite didn't understand.  lol


   Finally, I figured out that to land a good training partner, I would have to ask someone to be my partner ahead, before the class started !!! Bingo!!!!  I cracked part of the code and unspoken social rule.


   So, I still remember that one partner who rejected me, once that I had asked him and he agreed to be my partner, right before class, he dump me, he actually dropped me, and chose another partner for whatever reasons. Well, that was mean !   I was crushed ! Anyhow, I never asked him again to be my partner. However, this was a great experience because I learned to handle rejection and see the great part of it, where you move on to the next partner and learn so much more with so many different people.


   Training with advanced students is a privilege, because they correct me, teach me, and give me hints of how to do things better and what parts need improvements in training.  Now, when I do train with beginners, I can see how much progress I had made in the sport.


   I really love to train with men for the one reason, the different body types and sizes help me to measure and practice hits on different body types. I can also hit them with as much force as I can, they can handle it. Of course, with our protective gears.

   Training with women is lovely, because some of them are extremely strong and hit as hard as men. Of course, when my energy level is below normal level, I pick some of the newer students, because I know, they won't hit me as hard.


   Now, you know part of the code to get the Right Training Partner.

2 comments:

Steve Shiflett said...

I hope you punched him real hard in the gut and said, "This is for turning me down as your partner the first time bitch!" :-)

AuraIam said...

lolol, Steve, I never trained with him again.